A homeless man is suing a US couple who raised more than $400,000 to help him, alleging they used the funds as their own “piggy bank”.
Johnny Bobbitt went viral last year when he gave his last $20 to Kate McClure when her car ran out of petrol.
Ms McClure and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico started an online fundraiser for him, which drew contributions from over 14,000 donors. The legal action – alleging fraud and conspiracy – was filed on Tuesday.
Lawyers for the 35-year-old wrote in documents filed in Mount Holly – a New Jersey suburb of Philadelphia – that the couple had used the GoFundMe account they set up for Mr Bobbitt “to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford”.
In recent interviews, Mr Bobbitt said Ms McClure, 28, and Mr D’Amico, 39, had recently paid for trips to Las Vegas and Florida, and a new BMW.
Mr D’Amico works as a carpenter and Ms McClure is a receptionist for the New Jersey Department of Transportation, according to local media. A judge is set to hear the case on Thursday.
Bobbitt says the couple sold his camper, gambled away some of his money, and have declined to provide him with any financial records. The couple claims he once blew $25,000 on drugs in just 13 days.
“Every dollar he ever touched was used for drugs,” D’Amico told NBC in a nationally televised interview on Monday.
He added that he would be “absolutely” willing to allow an accountant to review financial statements to determine how the money was used, and what remains. 📷: AP